MEANING (TYPES) OF SOIL EROSION
CAUSES OF SOIL EROSION | EFFECTS OF SOIL EROSION | SOLUTIONS TO THE PROBLEMS OF SOIL EROSION
PART 1 – INTRODUCTION
Erosion is one of the change around us. It is a common occurrence in our localities. In Nigeria, many lives and properties have been lost due to erosion problems in many communities.
Common causes of erosion are rainfall, flood events, wind. Also, certain human activities like construction works and bush burning can expose the soil to erosion.
MEANING OF SOIL EROSION
Soil erosion is the washing away of top soil by water, wind and other agent of erosion such as human activities.
The more soil that is washed or blown away from the surface, the deeper the erosion that is caused.
TYPES OF EROSION
1. Water erosion
2. Wind erosion
MEANING OF WATER EROSION
Water erosion is the removal top soil by water such as running water, rainwater, river and sea.
MEANING OF WIND EROSION
Wind erosion is the removal top soil by wind.
CAUSES OF SOIL EROSION
1. Rainfall and flood
2. Soil texture
5. Bush burning
6. Over used of soil resources
7. Poor drainage
PART 2 – INTRODUCTION
Topsoil is very valuable, because it is nutrient-rich and feeds both seeds and plants. The flow of wind or water can remove topsoil leading to the loss of the nutrients and resources.
We experience erosion around us. Erosion can have a number of causes, but the effects are usually the same. The most visually noticeable effect is soil damage.
EFFECTS OF EROSION
1. It reduces the soil fertility.
2. It destroyed life and prosperity e.g. plants, vegetation, etc.
3. It damages and increases cost of living, production, transportation systems, infrastructures, etc.
4. Air and water pollution
5. It changes environment structures e.g. drainage.
6. It makes the crops not to grow well
CONTROL OF SOIL EROSION
2. Crops rotation
3. Better drainage
4. Proper management of soil resources
5. Environmental law and order.
1. explain the meaning of soil erosion.
2. mention 2 types of erosion.
3. different between water and wind erosion.
4. state 3 causes of erosion.
5. state 3 effects of erosion;
6. state 3 ways of controlling erosion.
Take the next challenge –